Boceprevir Side Effects
Boceprevir has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking boceprevir, peginterferon alfa, and ribavirin were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking just peginterferon alfa and ribavirin.
In these studies, the most common bothersome (but usually not dangerous) side effects of boceprevir included:
- Fatigue -- in up to 58 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 46 percent
- Altered taste or a bad taste in the mouth -- up to 44 percent
- Chills -- up to 34 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 34 percent
- Hair loss -- up to 27 percent
- Decreased appetite -- up to 26 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 25 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 23 percent
- Irritability -- up to 22 percent
- Dry skin -- up to 22 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 11 to 21 percent of people, included:
- Dry mouth
- Shortness of breath.
You may experience some or none of the boceprevir side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any adverse reactions while using the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.