Hepatitis Home > Recombivax HB Warnings and Precautions
If you have a latex allergy, make sure your healthcare provider uses Recombivax HB from a vial, since the prefilled syringes contain latex. Other warnings and precautions with Recombivax HB apply to those who are pregnant, have an immune-suppressing condition, or are allergic to any of the ingredients in the vaccine.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Before you receive Recombivax HB® (hepatitis B vaccine), talk to your healthcare provider if you have:
- An immune-suppressing condition, such as HIV or AIDS, diabetes, or cancer
- Had any sort of a reaction to a vaccine
- A moderate or severe illness
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Specific Precautions and Warnings With Recombivax HBWarnings and precautions to be aware of prior to receiving Recombivax HB include the following:
- You can receive Recombivax HB if you have a mild illness, such as the common cold. However, it is usually best to postpone the vaccine in the case of a moderate or severe illness.
- Make sure your healthcare provider knows if you have ever had any serious reactions to a vaccine before.
- If you have an immune-suppressing condition, Recombivax HB may not be as effective as usual in protecting against hepatitis B, as your immune system may not be fully capable of responding to the vaccine.
- Recombivax HB prefilled syringes and vials contain latex. Make sure your healthcare provider is aware if you have a latex allergy.
- Recombivax HB is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means it is unknown if it is safe for use during pregnancy (see Recombivax HB and Pregnancy).
- As with most vaccines, Recombivax HB is considered safe for breastfeeding women (see Recombivax HB and Breastfeeding).
- Recombivax HB does not contain thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative. People who are concerned about exposure to this substance can be confident that this vaccine has no thimerosal -- not even trace amounts. Some people also are concerned about the aluminum content of vaccines. The vaccine contains 0.5 mg of aluminum per mL.
- This vaccine is not made from human fetal components or animal components, unlike some vaccines.