Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderTalk with your healthcare provider before using this medication if you have:
- Depression or other mood or psychiatric disorders
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Thyroid problems
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Interstitial nephritis
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Lung problems
- High triglycerides
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Pegasys and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Pegasys and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Peginterferon Alfa-2a to learn more, including information on who should not use the drug.)
Dosing Information for Peginterferon Alfa-2aThe dose of peginterferon alfa-2a your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on several factors, such as:
- Your age
- Your weight (and height for children)
- How well you tolerate the medication
- How well your kidneys are functioning.
As always, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Peginterferon Alfa-2a Dosage for more information.)