Telaprevir Side Effects
Common Side EffectsTelaprevir has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking telaprevir, peginterferon alfa, and ribavirin were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking peginterferon alfa and ribavirin.
In these studies, the most common bothersome (but usually not dangerous) telaprevir side effects included:
- Fatigue -- in up to 56 percent of people
- Mild skin rash -- up to 56 percent
- Itching -- up to 47 percent
- Nausea -- up to 39 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 26 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 13 percent
- Hemorrhoids -- up to 12 percent
- Anal itching, burning, and discomfort -- up to 11 percent
- A bad taste in the mouth -- up to 10 percent.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the telaprevir side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking telaprevir or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.